Speeds and feeds

Andrew J. Luca andrewluca@mediaone.net
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 22:29:17 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From:	owner-firewall-wizards@nfr.net [mailto:owner-firewall-wizards@nfr.net]
On Behalf Of tqbf@pobox.com
Sent:	Wednesday, June 03, 1998 6:01 PM
To:	StoutB@pioneer-standard.com
Cc:	firewall-wizards@nfr.net
Subject:	Re: Speeds and feeds

Why isn't a seperate DS1 "balanced"?

Unless you are going to run iBGP between two separate routers, the second
T-1 wouldn't be balanced.  If you aren't running a protocol with your
provider (like BGP or maybe OSPF), your best outbound case will be
round-robin-like on a Cisco.  Your inbound case may possibly be worse due to
the asymmetric nature of routing like this - although this could still
happen when you are running BGP also.

There are a number of other options.  Cisco sells pretty inexpensive routers
these days which can support a full T-3.  The 720x series chassis are
essentially large VIP cards (with four or six slots instead of two).  There
are DS-3 PAMS for these which are pretty good.  You should be able to come
up with this solution for less than $32k.

I agree with the person who suggested the bandwidth capped DS-3.  However,
in most cases, you are still paying for the entire DS-3 for transport, the
only capped feature would be your Internet connectivity.  In a former life,
we installed a fractional DS-3 which was provided by the same carrier which
was our provider.  Due to our size, we were able to use the remaining
bandwidth for other purposes.

Just my thoughts.

Thomas H. Ptacek	  The Company Formerly Known As Secure Networks, Inc.
http://www.pobox.com/~tqbf	 "If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"