Accessing a UNIX server through MS Proxy server 2.0

Taylor, Gregory - Open Systems GTaylor@northtyneside.co.uk
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 14:46:37 +0100

	This brings things full circle to the old chestnut of what is a
firewall?!!  Itai has a good point that whatever security you employ it
is only to implement your security policy.  Surely you look at what you
have to protect, analyse the external risk and act accordingly.  If you
have little of value to the hacker there are plenty of "juicy" sites out
there which will divert their attention.  In that case a simpler (and
considerably cheaper!) option can be used.  In my case I have to provide
a much tighter protection requiring a full feature firewall.

	The problem is that too many people are now seeing a firewall as
some sort of fit and forget device.  The problem is that "firewalls"
differ in the protection they provide and by not carrying out a proper
threat analysis, producing a security policy and then intelligently
matching the available mechanisms to that policy people are going to end
up wide open.  I am certainly NOT of the opinion that MS Proxy is a
STRONG firewall but properly installed it is one hell of a lot better
than nothing (or perhaps a router with a bit of packet filtering) and
can be appropriate in the right circumstances.  Perhaps the term
"firewall" is becoming too wide?

	Also in fairness to the product (I am not actually anti-MS
except when my desktop crashes at the wrong moment ;-)  it is a very
good web proxy.  I am squeezing 40+ users through a 64KB pipe (yes I
know it's not enough but tell that to my finance department) and
response time is now excellent by setting the proxy appropriately.  It
has also been relatively stable only having to to reboot once in about 3
months.

	Thanks also to Joe for the book recommendation.  I am not very
keen on on-line documentation (either my age or the fact my firm won't
buy me a laptop with CD-ROM and at least I can carry a book around with
me).

	Greg.