No subject

Stout, Bill StoutB@pios.com
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 20:30:58 -0400

Why a second box?  That will slow you down significantly.  The server
extensions should run on the webserver, which accesses an internal
application server.  You can either use a third interface on a firewall,
or cascade firewalls and be completely proxied (http/https to internet,
SQL to the inside).

Internet---FW-----Internal

        Webfarm

For high-bandwidth situations (co-located), an alternative is to
front-end the webfarm with a network accelerator/intelligent caching
proxy (caches non-cgi URLs) which only passes http/https traffic, and
connect that to the third interface which proxies or packet-filters SQL
queries.

Internet----+---NA--Webfarm
            |         |
            +--------FW-------Internal

> 2) Move the web server inside and proxy it out to the Internet.

Bad idea.

> 3) Export database to external server and allow web server to hit that

> db.

Eats CPU on webserver, harder to maintain and keep Db current.

> I know that many thousands of companies are doing commerce but I've
been
> unable to find a best practices document or other such info.

They each think their network design is a comeditive differentiator.  ;)

> Thanks in advance for any comments, info, or pointers to where I can
> find some info.

Oracle, Microsoft, Redbrick, Information Advantage, Netscape, Digital,
IBM, Sun, Compaq, HP all have 'solutions' and will fall all over
themselves for a commerce site sale.  As long as you have money.

Lots of raw data on the Internet.  Beware of taking raw data as fact.
;)

Bill Stout