No subject

David Newman dnewman@cmp.com
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:07:00 -0400

Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 02:42:44 -0500 (CDT)
From: tqbf@pobox.com
Subject: Re: Proxy 2.0 secure?

> Bill, please have a look at:
>
>         http://www.data.com/lab_tests/ntfirewalls.html

Please do not cite obviously flawed test results as evidence of the
superiority (or contender status) of NT firewall packages. This article
states that the test methodology for this article consisted entirely of
running ISS (a network security scanner) against the subject firewalls.

This is incorrect. The methodology also included an extensive evaluation of
firewall management and performance. And note that we did put all kinds of
caveats telling readers that they *should* think critically about security
test results.

This isn't about whether we used Ballista or Safesuite; a ping of death,
etc., is the same regardless of which tool generates it. Note that I agree
with Bill Stout's original post that readers should take all test results
with a grain of salt--including ours.

Regards
David Newman
Data Communications magazine