Proxy 2.0 secure?

NetSurfer netsurf@sersol.com
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:52:40 -1000 (HST)

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Brian Steele wrote:

>I don't know who you are quoting (I forget the orig poster, sorry), but my
>problem with dynamic DHCP is less with the dynamic-ness than the short
>leases. The issue is that if the leases are short (e.g. less than a few
>weeks even), it is virtually impossible to track down a misbehaving system
>because it is difficult to map between MAC and IP addresses. This problem
>can be alleviated with long leases: I suggest a year or so.

Also remember that MS DHCP automatically gives the lease renewal the same
IP address unless the address is no longer available.  So long as the
address has not been given out to a different workstation (which should
only happen if the node had been down long enough for a new w/s to get the
IP) or had not been reserved (manually) the MAC <=> IP should behave
statically regardless of having a short lease.

--
James D. Wilson
netsurf@sersol.com

"non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem"
    William of Ockham (1285-1347/49)