Gauntlet source IP address re-write question

Christopher Michael cm@rmsbus.com
Mon, 09 Nov 1998 12:36:35 -0800

At 11:40 AM 11/9/98 -0500, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
>Raptor enables wholesale transparency of your network, letting people
>outside route anything THEY want to anywhere on your network.  This is
>why we don't like it and don't use it.  Gauntlet transparency does the
>same thing, to some degree.

Gauntlet transparency *only* means that packets addressed to a destination
on the other side of the firewall are directed to the proxies.  It is
typically used to allow users on the inside to use network applications
without having to enter the firewall as a proxy server in their configs.

Transparency or not, you have to go through a proxy to get through Gauntlet
(unless you've enabled packet filtering--which is a whole 'nouther story).
The proxy rules determine what you have access to.