[fw-wiz] Firewall Throughput

Patrick Darden darden@armc.org
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:07:57 -0400 (EDT)

Darren,

"they're putting too much into the IOS... CBAC feature set...."

The PIX does not run IOS, nor is it associated with CBAC in any way other
than they are both Cisco products.  Completely different product lines.

"Cisco push it along the lines of 'you don't want unix/windows on your
firewall because they're crashable'"

I would like to know where they state that.  It would be pretty
hypocritical as the PIX has a Unix based OS (Plan 9).

"You damn well don't want a router as a firewall"

I don't know of many firewalls that aren't routers as well, that includes
the IP Filter you seem to like so much and even the BSD-based NOKIA
running Checkpoint FW1.  Application-layer proxy based firewalls usually
aren't routers, but otherwise...

"I *refuse* to believe that Linux is a reliable/secure platform"

No offense, but I have Solaris, BSD, AIX, and Linux running here--and
all of them are stable and reliable.  I had one hard-used Linux server
running for almost 2 years before I recently took it down for some
upgrades.

--
--Patrick Darden                Internetworking Manager
--                              706.354.3312    darden@armc.org