[fw-wiz] Firewall Throughput

JVBrown jvbrown@gte.net
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:55:31 -0400

perhaps Mr. Moderator is busying for Interop, as this thread has got some of
our heads spinning.

omo...

subject line is "firewall throughput" ...perhaps this thread should read
"Pix functionality".
While the discussion is quite architecturally esoteric, the subject line was
lost messages ago.

A discussion thread on firewall throughput that does not include a single
reference to NetScreen  NS100 and NS1000 security, performance and value
leadership position isn't representative.

The NS1000 specifications are as follows...these are the industry standards
in FW Throughput.

 1Gb/s stateful-inspection NAT firewall
 1Gb/s 3DES VPN
 25k IPSec tunnels
 500 k concurrent sessions
 40k access screening policies
 VLAN 802.1q Tag support
 Full ICSA Certification
 Multi-tenant 100 virtual systems within a system
 High Availability
 Full Redundancy

NS100 slouch(not) ... 100Mb NAT, >70Mb 3DES, HA, ~200k concurrent, 25k
connections/second, etc.

If throughput is the singular design objective, and rock-solid security
isn't a factor, about the only solution faster would be a wire itself, or
some infrastructure device with ACL.

YMMV,
jvbrown