[fw-wiz] Backup of DMZ Servers

Stiennon,Richard richard.stiennon@gartner.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 22:19:07 -0400

How about a SAN?  Fiber Channel backup. It's off net and does not force
over-sizing of firewall for gigabit throughput.

-R. Stiennon

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Feldman [mailto:Jonathan@chathamcounty.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 10:14 AM
To: firewall-wizards@nfr.com; hartmann@secunet.de
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Backup of DMZ Servers

I think they're all ugly.

>From what I understand, an internal BackupExec server backing up an external
server needs:

Outgoing TCP 6101-6103 for backup query
Outgoing 1024-65535 for backup data

Clearly, for #2, you'll want to lock it down to the IP address of your
backup server.  Not pretty however you slice it; but at least BE doesn't
require incoming stuff.

Cheers,

--Jonathan

Jonathan Feldman
Chief Technical Manager, Chatham County ICS http://chathamcounty.org
Contributing Editor, Network Computing Magazine http://nwc.com
"Teach Yourself Network Troubleshooting"
"Network+ Exam Guide" http://feldman.org

>>> "Hartmann, Josef" <hartmann@secunet.de> 05/30/01 11:45AM >>>
Hi,

I just would like to ask people how do you backup your webservers (IIS)?
Looking at a standard backup program Legato Networker I have to open quite
many ports from the untrusted zone to the internal LAN (where the storage
node resides).

How about other backup solutions EDM, NetBackup?

Personally I prefer using local tapes however people don't want to have the
management of that.

Thanks,

Josef